Student Art Show
SAVE THE DATE! Student Art Show 2017 will be February 17, 2017 - "Illustrating Nature: The Student Art Show" 5- 7 PM
The Ward Museum invites students from Delmarva to submit their artwork to the annual Student Art Show. The Student Art Show is a non-competitive display of students’ works from around the entire Delmarva peninsula. It is open to all students grades K–12 in public and private schools, as well as home-schooled students. The submitted works will go on exhibit in the museum’s Welcome Gallery.
This year’s theme is “Illustrating Nature,” collecting student works devoted to illustrating the natural world around them from a scientific perspective. The show is featured in conjunction with The Ward Museum’s contemporaneous "Scientific Illustrations" exhibit. Teachers and parents are encouraged to draw from our Resource Booklet and Suggested Native Species list below for their students’ entries.
In conjunction with the Student Art Show, the Ward Museum’s education department has produced a resource booklet with step-by-step drawing instructions and species information for some of our local, native organisms. This free resource encourages the development of both artistic techniques as well as observational skills and knowledge about the plants, animals, and fungi we can find all around us. We’ve developed it for use by teachers, home-school parents, and other educators to facilitate the illustration of nature by Delmarva’s children. It is intended to be an introduction to illustrating these particular organisms, making the endeavor readily approachable by children who don’t already have a strong background in drawing and illustration. Furthermore, we've specifically designed the resource booklet to be interdisciplinary—to make it useable by both arts and sciences teachers and for both art and science lessons.
To make a submission contact us at the Ward Museum Education Department:
Call: 410-742-4988 EXT. 110
- Students may use a variety of flat or 3D mediums including, but not limited to, paints, sketching pencils, colored pencils or Prismacolors, pastels, crayons, photography and sculpture
- All flat art must be matted with a minimum one inch black or white border. Hooks for hanging are not required.
- Please attach a label with the student’s name, age/grade and school name on the back of each student’s submission.
- All artwork must be no larger than 18” x 24” (including matting)
- 3D standing art must have a footprint of 14” x 14” or less.
Dates to Remember:
- Exhibit opening: Friday, February 17, 2017
- Submissions Due: Friday, February 10, 2017
- Reception: Friday, February 17, 2017 (5—7 p.m.)
- Exhibit final day: Sunday, April 2, 2017
- Artwork Pick-up: Monday—Friday, April 3—7 (10am—5pm)