Detailed description of brand:
The Spesutia Island Rod and Gun Club brand is a burned brand that measures 1 ¾” long x ¾” in height. The brand abbreviates the Club’s name in all capital letters as follows:
The Spesutia Island Rod and Gun Club was incorporated on August 21, 1890 in New York. The membership consisted of some of the wealthiest men in America. The first year trustees of the club were: J. R. Maxwell, George B. Post, Archer N. Martin, Adolph de Bary, Eugene L. Maxwell, Henry W. Maxwell, Henry S. Manning, George A. Evans, Henry A. V. Post, Edgar S. Auchincloss, and Hugh D. Auchincloss. The club later counted J. Pierpont Morgan among its members. The Club operated from 1890 until 1942 when the Army leased the Island to conduct rocket testing, and purchased the entire Island in 1945.
Other Brands on this decoy:
This brand has been identified on the following decoys:
Maker Species Drake or Hen
1. James T. Holly Canvsback Drake
Personal collection and research.
Initial Contributor: Kevin Peel