Saturday, August 13, 2022 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. [CANCELED]
Due to unforeseen circumstances at the Ward Museum, the Delmarvalous Festival is canceled this year–though we hope to bring elements of the festival to you in talks, demonstrations, and performances in the coming months. The Chesapeake Challenge decoy contest will still take place outside, on museum grounds, on Saturday, August 13.
Thank you to all of those that entered and attended the Chesapeake Challenge.
Come celebrate Delmarva culture, decoy carving, traditional arts, and local history! The Ward Museum’s one-of-a-kind, one-day folklife festival is back and in-person this year! (And totally free to attend!)
The Delmarvalous Festival is a fun celebration of Delmarva culture. Join us Saturday, August 13 from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm at the Ward Museum. The festival will feature a variety of live music, talks, demonstrations, games, and unique offerings from local artists and makers. Chesapeake Challenge Decoy Contest registration is 8:00 – 10:30am in the Museum’s backyard.
Folklife Area: Culture & Traditions
- Antique and classic cars
- Sandcastle / sand sculpture demonstration with artist George Zaiser
- Fly fishing and fly casting demonstration with fisherman Bill Gore
- Opening prayer by the Nause-Waiwash Band of Indians
- Pocomoke Indian Nation
- Distilling with Garrett Neeb
- Fiber arts & spinning demonstration with Marshall Creek Farm
- Decoy carving demonstrations with Kenny Glasgow & Zach Jester
- The science of hydroponic farming with Baywater Farms
- Goat Plum Tree Farm on mushroom harvesting
- Musical performances from folk and traditional musicians
- Rug making with Aleta Davis
- The annual Chesapeake Challenge Decoy Contest
- Plus Much More!
Folklife Area and Vendors
Lower Shore Land Trust
Maryland Coastal Bays
Marshall Creek Farm
Swamp Boy Handicraft
Anchor Wood Creations
Goat Plum Tree Farm
Fun Family Games: Hungry Gull, Chicken & Waffles, Duck Pond, Duck Butt Bowling, and Corn Hole
2022 Chesapeake Challenge
In 2020 the Chesapeake Challenge found a new home in the Delmarvalous Festival! This decades-old tradition includes competition in several categories of decoy making. Decoys can be mailed in or registered that morning starting at 8 AM. The Contemporary Antique bird is a Scoter (any 3 US species) for 2022. And yes, there is a YOUTH division! Just note youth on your form if you are mailing in your youth’s decoys! If you are mailing in your decoys please let us know when you have shipped them and which carrier you have used (UPS, USPS) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Click here to download the registration form. Click here to read the rules!
Thank you to our sponsors:
Salisbury Wicomico Arts Council
Chincoteague Decoy Carvers & Artists Association
Friends of George R. Root
Karl & Deb Yankey