Saturday, August 14, 2021 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Come celebrate Delmarva Culture, Decoy Carving, Traditional Arts, and Local History! The Ward Museum’s one-of-a-kind, one-day folklife festival is back and in-person this year! (And totally free to attend!!)
The Delmarvalous Festival is a fun celebration of Delmarva Culture. Join us Saturday, August 14 from 9:00am – 4:00pm at the Ward Museum. There really is something for everyone.
The festival will feature a variety of live music, talks, demonstrations, games, and unique offerings from local artists and makers. You’ll be able to make your own kite, watch a professional sand castle maker in action, learn about blacksmithing, watch close-up demos of crab picking, distilling, fiber arts, candle making, decoy carving, and so much more!
The Delmarvalous Festival will also host several activities and games for kids of all ages. Food and drinks will be provided by local vendors and will be available for purchase all day during the festival.
Folklife Area: Culture & Traditions
- Sandcastle Demonstration with George Zaiser
- Musical Performances from Ali & Steve Quillen (Folk Music)
- Poetry with Salisbury Poet Laureate Nancy Mitchell
- Talk with Helen Elizabeth Raleigh of Story Hill Farm – on eestoring habitat to save pollinators with endangered American Heritage Randall Cattle
- Ceremonial Performance and an opening prayer by the Nause-Waiwash Band of Indians
- Bladesmithing with J.J. Simon
- Kite Making with Neal Hooks
- Distilling with Garrett Neeb
- Fiber Spinning Demonstration with Terry Tazmino
- Candle Making Demonstration with Honey Water Candles
- Musical Performances from Duo Dick Morris & Chris Sajadi (Bluegrass Music)
- Morning Yoga with Chrissy Ehrart of Zenna Wellness
- Skipjack Net Weaving with Teddy Daniels
- Filipino Dance with Marianita Albano
- Plus Much More!
In 2020 the Chesapeake Challenge found a new home in the Delmarvalous Festival! This decades-old tradition includes competition in several categories of decoy making. Decoys can be mailed in or registered that morning starting at 8AM. The Contemporary Antique bird is a Gull (any and all species) for 2021. And yes, there is a YOUTH division! Just note youth on your form if you are mailing in your youth’s decoys!
Delmarvalous Collections: Antique Decoys
Hey Decoy Collectors! There will be an Antique Decoy Contest at Delmarvalous this year! All entries should be made prior to 1950 and will be judged in the categories listed below. You can personally enter your decoy(s) between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. at the Ward Museum. A pair counts as a single entry. By entering, you agree, should your decoy win first in any category, that it will be on loan to the Ward Foundation for exhibit at the Ward Museum for up to six months. Click here for the Entry Form and fee information.
Folklife Area: Vendors
If you’d like to be a vendor at the Delmarvalous Festival click here to download the form. To be a part of the 2021 festival email email@example.com.
Lower Shore Land Trust
Marshall Creek Farm
Honey Water Candles
Anchor Wood Creations
Hard Sun Clay
Fun Family Games: Hungry Gull, Chicken & Waffles, Duck Pond, Duck Butt Bowling, and Corn Hole
Thank you to our sponsors:
Chincoteague Decoy Carvers & Artists Association
Friends of George R. Root
Karl & Deb Yankey