- This event has passed.
Drawing Birds Workshop with Ellen Lawler
September 22 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$45.00 – $55.00
Join us at the Ward Museum September 22nd from 10:00am-4:00pm to learn how to draw birds with Salisbury University professor emeriti, Ellen Lawler!
The workshop will cover the basics of bird anatomy, provide helpful resources, and suggestions for drawing living birds. Students will work from photos and carvings in the museum’s collection. Students are encouraged to bring their own lunch to enjoy out on the deck, overlooking Schumaker Pond.
Contact the museum today at (410)742-4988 to reserve your spot! Cost is only $45 for museum members or $55 for nonmembers.
This is a list of recommended supplies, but if you have favorite tools that you are comfortable using, feel free to bring them.
• A good quality sketchbook, drawing pad or individual sheets of drawing paper, preferable 11 x 14 (small enough to hold while working in the galleries but large enough for most drawings). My preferred sketch book is Strathmore’s 400 series recycled sketch pad, which has 60 lb weight paper and is spiral-bound on the long side. There are many good quality pads available and you are welcome to bring your preference; but paper thinner than at least 50 lb weight doesn’t work as well.
• Backing board – especially if you bring individual sheets of paper rather than a pad. If so, bring tape or clips.
• Drawing pencils – varying in hardness – 2H, HB, 2B , 4B, for example
• Mechanical Pencil – I like Pentel’s Twist-Erase with 0.5 mm lead
• Erasers – a kneaded eraser and a white vinyl, plastic or similar eraser
• Blending tool – tortillion or stump
You are welcome to bring other drawing tools that you enjoy using, such as Colored pencils, pens, etc.
*Lawler’s preferred materials